Interesting Facts About Hagia Sophia
2 years ago Sumit Gupta 6
Interesting Facts About Hagia Sophia, Hagia Sophia is one of the best architect monument of the world. Hagia Sophia began with a church,later
became a mosque and finally as a museum in Istanbul Turkey.The design and architecture of Hagia Sophia was so marvellous and it is said that its large mound change the history of architecture.
7 wonders of the world Interesting Facts About Hagia Sophia
- People was made lots of changes with Hagia Sophia,it was started as church than later it became mosque and finally it became museum in Istanbul Turkey.It said that Hagia Sophia changed the history of architecture. Hagia Sophia was designed with a large mound. From 537 AD to 1453 Hagia Sophia was the largest cathedral in the world,but it converted into mosque from 1435 to 1931.But it remains closed from 1931 to 1935 for the public and finally it converted into museum in 1935.
- The interior design of Hagia Sophia was decorated with mosaics and marble pillars and coverings of great artistic value.Several mosaics are preserved in the upper gallery of Hagia Sophia.
- On the same site there were already two Churches have been built but they were both destroyed due to the internal riots and earthquake,at last Hagia Sophia was built and it is said that it was the third church of the holy wisdom on the site.
- Wisdom of God, the Logos, the second person of the Trinity is the sign of Hagia Sophia church and Jesus Christ is the second person of the Trinity.
- Hagia Sophia church was not only convert into mosque but also they removed the changed of the bells, Iconostasis, as well as the sacrificial vessels.
- Now a days the Hagia Sophia museum is famous only for the 50 foot silver iconostasis which was displayed on the museum from the days when Hagia sophia was a church.
- The King Muhammad the Conqueror II converted Hagia Sophia church into Hagia Sophia mosque and also they were plastered the Christian mosaics.
- The Hagia Sophia mound is of 31 meter in diameter.
- The first Turkish President and founder of the Republic of Turkey, Mr Mustafa Kemal Ataturk convert the mosque in museum in 1935.They removed the carpets of Mosque and marble floor decorations such as the Omphalion appeared for the first time in centuries,The design of Hagia Sophia was become an inspiration for blue Mosque of Istanbul and Sultan-Ahmed Mosque.
- It is the only museum in the world where there is both Islamic and Christian influences and features are present.
- Greek geometers Isidore of Miletus and Anthemius was designed the Hagia Sophia.
- Hagia Sophia was the most visited tourist place in Turkey.
- But it is said that only one great quiver will destroy entire structure of Hagia Sophia.
- The mound of Hagia Sophia has spurred interest attractive for tourist.
If you like this Article please like comment and share..