Interesting Facts About Jerusalem
1 year ago Sumit Gupta 3
Interesting Facts About Jerusalem. Jerusalem is the capital of Israel and the holiest place of Christians,Jews and Muslims.All the three religions have a claim to the city as all of them has their roots in it.It is situated on western
side of Dead Sea.I am so excited to tell you here some intresting facts about Jerusalem.
Interesting Facts About Jerusalem
- Jerusalem is holy place for Jewish people because it is Ir Ha-Kodesh(the Holy City), the Biblical Zion, the City of David, the site of Solomon’s Temple..
- Jerusalem is important for Christians because it is where the young Jesus impressed the sages at the Jewish Temple, where he spent the last days of his ministry.
- Jerusalem is important for Muslims because it is where the prophet Muhammad ascended to heaven. After the holy sites of Mecca and Medina.
- Solomon’s Temple, also known as the First Temple of Jerusalem, Solomon temple was the holy temple in ancient Jerusalem the temple built under the kingdom of Solomon, solomon was the king of the United Kingdom of Israel and Judah.Temple was overseen by 3,300 men and built by 150,000 Jewish workers.
- According to Jewish history, Jews have wanted to be buried on Mount of Olives. There is estimated to be about 150,000 graves dating back to the 15th century till now.
- Jerusalem is the oldest city home to Western Wall, Temple Mount, Dome of the Rock (Al-AqsaMosque), Church of the Holy Sepulcher, Hurva Synagogue and Via Dolorosa, among others.
- Jerusalem is the holiest place of Christians,Muslims and Jews.
- Jerusalem is famous for 1,578 public gardens and parks.TZurim Valley National Park is one of the famous national park of Jerusalem and botanical garden is famous for its different species of plant.
- Jerusalem also famous for archeological sites which is more than 2000. Some are Mamshit,Old Acre,Tel Rehov etc
- Jerusalem has over 70 cultural centers that teach art, music, poetry, literature.
- The Jerusalem Music Centre :In 1973 legendary violinist Isaac Stern and Jerusalem Mayor Teddy Kollek founded Jerusalem music centre
- THE POETRY PLACE by James Fenton : James Fenton was the famous poet who writes some famous poem for Jerusalem.
- Jerusalem also famous for museums .There are 60 museums in Jerusalem.Some famous museums are as below.
- Shrine of the Book : The Shrine of the Book is considered a landmark of twentieth-century museum architecture.
- Bible Lands Museum : The museum was founded by Elie Borowski in 1992 .This is an archaeological museum of Israel who explores the cultures of the people.
- Islamic Museum : this museum located in old city of jerusalem at temple mount.The Islamic Museum displays large copper soup kettles used in the Haseki Sultan Imaret.
- In Jerusalem there are 30 annual festivals which celebrate most in all of Israel.Some main festivals are as follow.
- Jerusalem art festival
- The jerusalem film festival
- There are 26 wineries in Jerusalem,which is famous for tourist.
- In old Jerusalem city there are total nine gates,all around the city there .The tour starts at Damascus Gate and ends at Dung Gate.
- Jerusalem is the focal point of the three Jewish holidays of Sukkot, Pesach, and Shavuot.
- Sukkot : which celebrates the wandering of the Israelites in the desert for 40 years, when they had to rely only upon God for food and protection.
- Shavout :Shavuot as a celebration of the giving of the Torah is a post-biblical development.
- Pesach : the beginning of the new planting season after the winter rains in Israel, since it falls in the early spring.
- In Jerusalem during the time of Abraham the city called shalem,the city Jerusalem was originally called “Yerushalem”.
- Jerusalem’s king David was buried in Mount Zion.It is also called theCity of David .
- In jerusalem there is a botanical garden which fame for its growing of different species from different countries.More than 6,000 species of flowers, trees and other vegetation from southern Africa, Europe, North America, southwest Asia and the Mediterranean grow wild in a valley.
- The length of the wall surrounding the old city is 4 kilometers.
- The Pool Bethesda is a pool of water in the Muslim Quarter of Jerusalem,Pool Bethesda is holy bath for Christians,Jews and Muslims.