Interesting Facts About Sydney Opera House
2 years ago Sumit Gupta 1
Interesting Facts About Sydney Opera House, In the world there are lots of cities and heritages.There are something which make that particular cities or countries more popular not
only by its name but by also some other famous personality or famous monuments of that country.When we think about some countries then there famous monuments or famous personality images are obtained in our mind.Just like when we thinks about country Australia then there is a image of Opera House come in our mind.Today i am going to show you some interesting facts about Opera House .
Lets go through with Interesting Facts About Sydney Opera House
- Architect Jorn Utzon designed Sydney Opera House.He was from Denmark,initially architect Jorn Utzon was rejected by three judges in 1956 design competition but his entry was picked out by fourth judge.Mr Jorn Utzon beat 233 other entrants who came from 32 countries,for Sydney Opera House design Mr Jorn Utzon won £5,000.
- Mr Jorn Utzon never visited the site of the Sydney Opera House before entering into the design competition.
- Sydney Opera House architect Mr Jorn Utzon designed many famous buildings like Kuwait national assembly, Bagsværd Church (Denmark),he was also awarded by Pritzker Architecture Prize for his Sydney Opera House design.
- The works started in 1959 with 10000 builders.
- Mr Utzon has resigned from the post of chief designer at the construction site of opera house. Reason for that in 1966 newly elected liberal party’s ministry of works has stopped paying to him. Due to this incident a mass protest was taken place in the streets and Mr Utzon left Australia in the middle of the construction and never come back to see his design.
- But in late nineties the Sydney opera house trust committee consulted with Utzon and appointed as a chief designer consultant for future works again.
- The construction of structure was completed in 1973 and in the same year it was inaugurated by Queen Elizabeth 2.
- And in the same inauguration ceremony Mr Utzon was awarded with gold medal by Royal Institute of Australian Architects Society for his contribution. But he absent from that ceremony
- The complete dimension of Sydney Opera House building is 185 m in length and 120 m wide.
- The original estimated cost for the construction of Sydney opera house was AUD(Australian Dollar) 100000.
- There are total 22 storeys.
- Sydney opera house’s roof was made up of 2194 pre-cast concrete sections.
- The roof of Sydney opera house has covered with one million tiles which was made from Swedish company Hogans.
- Sydney opera house’s building has 6225 square meter of glass 645 square meter of electric cable.
- The glass which is used in Sydney opera house’s building was made in France, it’s glass structure made it very attractive.
- Sydney opera house is such large structure that it covers about 5798 hectares of area in which about 8 Boeing 747 could sit wing to wing on its site.
- Mr Paul Robeson was the first performer who performed in 1960 at the construction site. The performance was dedicated to the workers of the Opera House.
- The first opera performed at the house was Sergei Prokofiev’s War and Peace, in 1973.
- Every year there are 3000 events held in Sydney opera house.
- Two hundred thousand people per year take guided tour of the building.
- The Sydney Opera House is a multi-venue performing arts center in Sydney, Australia.in which most popular centers are as follow:
- Concert hall : Concert hall is a biggest hall of Sydney Opera House ,the seating capacity of this house is 2679 people.Concert hall’s grand organ is the largest mechanical tracker action organ in the world with over 10,000 pipes.
- Utzon room : Utzon room is a smallest hall of the Sydney Opera House,the seating capacity of this house is 210 people.it is used for small multipurpose event.
- There are total 1000 rooms in Sydney opera house.
- Every year 15500 bulbs changed in Sydney Opera House.
- In Sydney Opera House there are 3 restaurants a cafe, an espresso bar, and opera and theatre bars.
- UNESCO listed Sydney Opera House under world heritage site in 2007.
- Sydney opera house is closed only on Christmas and Good Friday every year.
If you like this article than please like and share with your friends.If you have some informative thoughts about this article than please give your valuable feedback